Norwich Writers’ Circle runs 3 in-house competitions each year:
COMPETITION ONE – Either the Ivy Ferrari Cup or the Cooper Prize. Each are held on alternate years.
COMPETITION TWO – Past Search Prize for Non-Fiction
COMPETITION THREE – Colin Sutton Cup for Humour.
In-house competitions are free for members (including Online Members) but non-members are welcome to enter. The entry fee for non-members is £5.00. Both members and non-members are limited to one entry each. All entries receive feedback from the adjudicator, whether they win or not.
Non-members are not eligible to claim any NWC trophy, however all winners will receive a certificate.
Entries by NWC members will also be entered into the Member’s Shield Challenge of the Olga Sinclair Prize which is judged by a different adjudicator. Places are awarded on merit. Members receive one point towards the Competition Cup for entry and points for placement in the Members Shield Challenge as in the smaller competitions.
In-house Competition Entry Specifications
- Only one entry per author, per competition.
- All competition entries should be printed in 12 point Times New Roman in black ink on one side of A4 paper, double-spaced, with one-inch margins all round.
- Do not add extra space between paragraphs or different speeches in dialogue.
- Each page should be numbered, using the format ‘Page x of y’ i.e page 1 of 3, for example. It is helpful if the title of the story appears next to the page number. This can be at the top-right corner, or at the bottom of the page, separated from the main body of text by a blank line.
- Do not submit manuscripts which are over the word limit – or under, if a minimum is specified.
- Please read the terms and conditions before submitting your entry.
You should include a cover sheet giving:
- The title of the story
- The name of the competition
- The word limit
- The actual word count
- Do not put your name on this sheet as competitions are judged anonymously.
- Your name and address and the title of the piece should be submitted to the In-House Competition Secretary on a separate piece of paper, which then can be removed and logged before the entries are sent, anonymously, to the adjudicator.
Entries may be sent by email to:
Payment can be made in two ways:
Send money directly to our bank account.
Sort code: 77-68-22
Account Number: 00010414
Name: Norwich Writers Circle
This can be done either via your e-banking, or you can visit a TSB branch and pay it into our account over the counter. Please email us when you have paid so we can check it has come through.
If you are from outside the UK, you might prefer to send payment via PayPal, in which case please send payment to:
Your receipt may confirm payment was made to Alan Rosser. This is our treasurer.
Please include the name of the competiton you are entering and the name of your story in the notes section.