Before submitting your entry, please read the following guidelines and terms and conditions carefully. Failure to follow either will result in disqualification. Disqualified entries will not receive their entry fee back.
Information on how to submit you story is found at the bottom of the page.
Please attach a separate cover sheet with the following details:
- Your full name
- Story title
- Word count
- Your email address
- Any telephone number(s) we can contact you on
- Your full address
- PayPal reference (if applicable)
- Where you heard about the competition (website, postcard, magazine etc). Please specify which website or magazine, and where you saw the postcard.
We need this information for admin purposes and so we can contact you if you win. It will not be passed onto third parties.
If you are sending your entry by email, the cover sheet should be a separate attachment to your story. Please do not put this in the body of the email. The document title should also be formatted as follows: [Story Title] Cover Sheet.
If you’re still not sure, you can download a template here:
You can either fill it in, or make your own, as long as it contains the same details. Please be sure to include it with your entry.
Each story you submit should have its own cover sheet.
If you are sending by post, it must be a separate sheet of paper placed at the front of the manuscript it relates to.
All manuscripts must be formatted as follows:
- Double spaced
- 12pt Times New Roman
- 3cm page margin
- Paper size A4
- Please only include the title and not your name i.e do not use [Title] by [Name]. You must not include anything that might identify you anywhere on the manuscript. This ensures all entries are judged anonymously.
- Your header or footer must contain page numbers, formatted as page x of y and also the title of your story. This will prevent mix-ups during administration. If you do not know how to do this please see the following links for instructions for Microsoft and Apple users.
Please find a template below. You do not have to use it, but it should help if you’re not quite sure how to format your story. You can either write your story in it, or use it as a guide when you format your story.
If you’re still not sure, please refer to this sample from a past winning entry below. It is formatted exactly as required:
Emailed entries are preferred as they make administration easier.
Emailed submissions must be sent as an attachment. Please do not put your story in the body of the email. Any entries sent this way will be disqualified.
All file attachments MUST be formatted as a .doc or .rtf file. PDFs will not be accepted.
Please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also include your name, manuscript title, and PayPal reference (if applicable) in the subject.
If you are sending multiple entries, please attach a separate cover sheet for each one.
Although emailed entries are preferred, if you are unable to do so, please post them to:
Iain Andrews, 12 Malten Close, Poringland, Norwich, NR14 7RW
Entries are not returned, ensure you keep a copy.
If you are sending multiple entries, they can be put them in the same envelope, but please ensure the correct cover sheet is in front of each manuscript.
Please ensure you pay sufficient postage.
Please note that if your entry wins, you will need to send a digital version so it can be published in our anthology.
Payments can be made via PayPal to email@example.com. Please use the name you are submitting your work under and your story title as a reference.
Cost is £8 per entry. PayPal may confirm your payment to Alan Rosser, who is our Treasurer.
If you have any questions, be sure to check out our FAQ page. If your question is not answered there, or you are still unsure about something, please do not hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note it may take 3-5 working days for us to respond.
Terms and Conditions
Please read the below terms and conditions carefully. Failure to follow them may result in disqualification.
- Entries must never have been published or self-published in any format, including but not limited to, publication on any website, blog or online forum, or broadcast.
- Entries must not be awaiting publication or self-publication in any format, including but not limited to, publication on any website, blog or online forum, or broadcast.
- Work must not have placed in any other competition, either as a winner (i.e 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place) nor have been shortlisted, longlisted or highly commended.
- If you submit your entry elsewhere while it is entered with us, you must notify us should it place or be published and immediately withdraw your entry. You will not receive your entry fee back.
- By submitting your entry, you are giving us permission for it to be included in our non-profit anthology should it win. You will retain the copyright to the story and be allowed to publish it elsewhere should you wish to after the results have been officially announced on 15th October 2019.
- Entries submitted posthumously will not be eligible.
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and by submitting you are confirming that the work is your own. Any evidence to the contrary will result in immediate disqualification and any prize money paid will be reclaimed.
- Entries received after the deadline will not be entered, nor will any fees paid be returned.
- Each story submitted counts as an entry and must be paid for. There is no limit to the number of entries that can be submitted provided they are paid for.
- If an entrant is found to have breached any of the terms and conditions, their entry will be disqualified. Any fees paid will not be refunded. If they have been given any prize money, it will be reclaimed.
- All entries MUST be in English.
- It is the sole responsibility of the entrant to report any cash prizes they win in the competition according to the tax laws that apply in their respective country and/or county/state/province.
- Submission of work will be taken as a declaration that you (the entrant) understand all of the terms and conditions and agree to them all.